"I think I'm in a minority, but I feel differently about golf. I feel golf should be an aspirational game, something people aspire to. People should come to golf, golf shouldn't come to them." ..."It may be elitist, and perhaps that's what golf needs. Let golf be elitist. When I say 'aspire,' that's a positive word. Let people work hard and aspire to someday be able to play golf. To afford to play it."
What an a-hole (in-one) thing to say!
Why are we talking about golf? Because The Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA) is holding the 2017 U.S. Women's Open at Donald Trump's New Jersey golf resort. This event began in 1946 and is the most prestigious women’s golf event. So what? Well, Trump is going to make bank from this event because he refuses to separate from his assets-just like the #boycott Trump campaign, we need to hit him where it hurts. And golf would hit him especially hard. So let’s brush up on our golf facts:
- In October two senators asked the LPGA to move the tournament given Trump’s offensive comments about women, but the LPGA refused.
- The Men’s Professional Golf Association, however, moved their tour from a Trump property. The PGA claims the decision was not politically motivated, even though they issued a statement that Trump’s remarks about Mexican immigrants were "inconsistent with our strong commitment to an inclusive and welcoming environment in the game of golf." The Donald was not happy about this statement.
- The LPGA has not issued anything about Trump’s disrespectful statements about women.
- Trump still does not have a blind trust set up for his assets.
All-of-us must convince the LPGA to move the Women’s Open from Trump’s resort.
1. Go to the LPGA Women’s Open site.
Here is the general message (too long for a tweet): We are disappointed that the LPGA has refused to move the Women's Open from Donald Trump's resort. The LPGA has a nearly 70 year long history and is one of the world's premier women's professional sports organizations. Donald Trump has consistently disrespected women. By holding the Women's Open at his resort, the LPGA is disrespecting women too.
2. Here are the LPGA corporate sponsors. Go on their social media and ask them to pull their sponsorship.